Thursday 21 November 2019

The Green Heat of the New Industrial Revolution



My mum tells me that as a toddler I was fascinated when our first telly arrived, and even sat watching the Labour Party Conference.  As this was 1963, I can infer that I sat through Harold Wilson's famous White Heat of Technology speech.  I don't remember it.  But it was one of those speeches that have become a part of history and I certainly remember being fascinated by the coming space age and the inevitable advances in technology that were coming.  I wonder if the Green Industrial Revolution idea will be equally inspiring?


It is certainly notable that this is the first item in the manifesto.  It is also clear that it has been the centrepiece of Labour's thinking.   This isn't a bit of greenwashing.  That it is being linked to social and industrial policy, the things Labour has always been interested in, shows that they mean business.  As does the significant budget - £250 billion is committed.  This is a bit more than a hug a husky photo-op.  And there is an outline of what sounds like a very reasonable structure for bringing about change in the direction of a more benign approach to living on the planet.

I really like what I am hearing about the direction Labour is going in, and the dedication they are giving it.

I'd have liked to hear a bit more about innovation and the science behind their thinking.  I'd also like to hear a lot less about what the Tories have got wrong.  I'll make my own mind up on that thank you very much.  I don't think many non-partisan members of the public are impressed by politicians finding fault with other politicians.  But it particularly jarred here, where the actual offering is a good one.  If you are putting forward a positive message it is best to stay positive.

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/a-green-industrial-revolution/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...