Friday 29 November 2019

How The Tories Will Go About Unleashing Britain's Potential

Great Britain Hot Air Balloon Flying
For as long as I've known how to spell 'flagrant misrepresentation' the Conservatives have been claiming either that they are uniquely good at running the economy or that Labour is uniquely bad at it.  Constant repetition seems to have succeeded in making this a widely held belief despite no actual data ever being put forward.  So it isn't surprising that this trope gets another airing.


It is listed under the heading Unleashing Britain's Potential.  I like the heading.  Britain's potential does seem to me to have not been fulfilled recently largely due to parsimonious public spending.  So what's new approach that will make all the difference?

This turns out to be simply a new spending formula, rather similar to that operated by Gordon Brown which distinguishes government expenditure on But from that on day to day running costs.  Insult to injury is added by peppering this rather unremarkable policy with extravagant criticism of the administration from whom it is being pinched.   But politics isn't really a sport for gentlemen.  As a voter the message I am getting is that economically the Tories have dumped austerity and will be going back to the policies of the Blair government.  Obviously they can't just say that.

As a voter I am tempted.  But while I think stopping digging is a good start when you have dug yourself into a hole, it won't actually get you out of the hole.  And although the Blair government shines like Camelot in comparison with what succeeded it, I think we might now need something a bit more radical.

https://vote.conservatives.com/our-plan/get-brexit-done-and-unleash-britains-potential

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...