Wednesday 21 September 2016

Personal Observations



Nothing much happening on the big political scene Brexit wise at the moment.  There are a lot of UK level politics going on so the issue isn't at the top of the agenda right now.  So I'll review how it is going on in my own little bubble.  The people I happen to interact with are no more representative than any other randomly selected group of people.  But I know them so I have a better idea of what they mean when they talk about a subject, so in some ways are more useful than a more scientific poll.


And the observation is that the subject has dropped from conversation.   Nobody is buying the "Brexit Bounce" story.  The leavers aren't being triumphant about it.  The remainers don't seem to downhearted.  But I don't feel comfortable brining the subject up and not many people do bring it up.  I made my pro-EU views known beforehand and have chatted to some people who agreed with me.  Well two people.  Both of them are still amazed that the result went the way it did and have not changed their minds in any way.  The 'get over it and make it work' idea doesn't seem to have taken hold.  But then most of us don't really have anything that we can do to make it work even if we wanted to.

The only notable thing is that one leave voting family member has recanted and now says it was the wrong decision.  He was the only one of my family who voted leave and we were all mystified that he had, so I don't think there is much to be read into that.  But it made me feel better.

My feeling is that despite the very vocal people on social media it is the leavers who are less interested in the issue.  One person said they felt happy about getting their country back.  But it is nothing like the way that Tories I know were visibly delighted about the 2015 election result.  The political consensus is that the referendum result has to be respected.   I see the logic and the force behind that and it is what looks like happening.  But I have a feeling that if someone could come up with a really solid reason for halting the Brexit process it wouldn't actually upset too many people too much.  But as I say - this is just the feeling I get from my own little bit of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...