Saturday 10 September 2016

Australia's Priority is the EU rather than the UK





If I am really interested in an argument I will always try and put a case for the other side, at least in my head.  It is best to do it on paper though, because it is instructive to compare the lists of arguments on both sides to see where each case seems strongest.  The best case I could come up with for Brexit was that it would make trade with the rest of the world easier.


I dismissed that argument on the grounds that trade with the EU was going to be worth a lot more for the foreseeable future.  But I did think that at least with the English speaking members of the Commonwealth there might be some things that EU membership would hinder.  I seem to remember that being a bit of a big deal in the last referendum debate.

But it turns out I am a hopeless romantic. Australia is much keener to do a deal with the EU than the UK.  It is pretty much the Obama logic in action.  When it comes to trade you do the deal with the biggest market first.  Britain's market is big and interesting and everyone wants access to it.  But they want to talk to the one that is 4.5 times bigger first.

This doesn't seem to be getting much publicity, and it is not perhaps even news really.  How else would you expect them to behave after all?  But it is interesting that the reality of Brexit is beginning to turn out rather different to how many of us were expecting it to.  Maybe losing EU membership is a price worth paying for replacing our delusions.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/09/08/australian-trade-minister-says-special-relationship-with-uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...