Sunday 11 September 2016

Express Opinons - The Media Environment

Anti-EU Bias not remotely subtle

I haven't got much actual news right now, but here's a retrospective on the long term media trashing of the EU.  What effect has all this negativity had?  I think it has affected me for sure.  In my job I deal with legislation from around the world in my field.  I have always just assumed, for no other reason than that this was a thought that was easily picked up, that the EU's was especially bad.


Now when you are talking legislation it is always a question of how bad it is.  There isn't a positive side to the scale.  But when I thought it through a bit more systematically I decided that the EU's stuff wasn't any worse than anywhere else's.   There are pros and cons, but overall it was probably the easiest to understand and implement.  And in fact it was definitely the easiest to influence.  It is the only legislature that positively invites comment on the regulations.  The reality was a far cry from the unelected dictators outlawing bendy bananas of the media.

It is hard to know what to do about this constant drip feed of misinformation that we all suffer from. Obviously you don't have to read the tabloids, and I personally never do.  But we aren't islands and inevitably the nonsense seeps into our everyday lives.  Something like Brexit is big enough to notice but how many other distortions do we live with and never even aware of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...