Thursday 24 November 2016

What if we Brexit and nobody turns up?

Pro-Brexit Campaigners Failed to Fill Parliament Square

As I write there may still be some pro-Brexit supporters in London but it is already clear that a protest that I have seen promoted on leaver blogs and groups online for several weeks now has been a complete flop.  The Sun and the Express are talking it up but the more reliable media are suggesting that attendees only just got into three figures.  This is pretty pathetic.  I have always felt that the whole anti-EU thing was pretty shallow and was only kept going by increasing hysterical coverage in the media.  But even I thought they could muster more than a church hall's worth of activists.


Europe was not even an issue for most people a couple of years ago.  Without the media skills of Mr Farage it probably wouldn't be now.  I don't think that in fact it was ever the case that there were huge numbers of people actively opposed to the EU.   If it were, it was inevitable that the process of going from an idealistic notion to an actual practical project it would lose support.  Arguments are bound to happen - even if a large number of people thought that membership of the EU was unacceptable there is no way they will all agree on what the ideal relationship with the EU will be.  Whatever option Mrs May plumps for when she finally lets on, some support for Brexit will be lost.  So we are definitely already past peak-Brexit.   It is downhill from here.

It looks very much to me like if we ever reach the day that our membership ends, it won't be marked by many street parties.  It is much more likely to be the biggest and most expensive anti-climax in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...