Tuesday 13 August 2019

It's Not All About The Economy, Stupid

Model Figure Standing on Map

Remainers spend a lot of time pointing out possibly adverse economic effects of Brexit.  Leavers prefer talking about taking back control.    Remainers seem to get the better of the economic argument most of the time.  But they don't have it all their own way.  There has been some quite good stories for Brexit over the last couple of days.   Leavers have not been slow to talk about them.


It's quite a good education for a remainer like me to note just how unconvincing economic arguments are.   It looks like the Americans are prepared to give us a good trade deal in the event of a no deal Brexit.  My thoughts - well whoopy do!   It moves my views not one jot.   I shouldn't be surprised that the other side aren't swayed by similar but opposite stories.

The reality is that the EU is a political and cultural project.  It happens to have some quite nice economic benefits, but that is not the big story.

The big reason for being part of the European Union is that we are part of Europe.   We always have been and always will be.   We might be an island, but an island that has been deeply involved with all the goings on the continent to which we are so close.

It is good to make the comparison with Japan's relationship with China.   I dare say you could make a good economic case for Japan joining a grouping with China (and presumably Korea).   But Japan is really not tied up with China in the same way that Britain is with Europe.

It really isn't about the money basically.   I feel like a European.  And I think most Englishmen over the centuries would have felt the same.   And that trumps just about any argument anyone can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...