Wednesday 8 February 2017

How Brexit Has Made Me Feel


I have learnt a lot from the whole Brexit business.  Most of it is positive.  I have discovered that I really like the United Kingdom and the way it works.  The House of Commons is a very good forum, and although I don't like the actual policy it is interesting just how well it is accommodating itself to implementing the expressed will of the people.


And I like the way the different countries of the UK work together.  It would be entirely possible for England to totally dominate the union, but we get a good representation from the Irish, Scottish and Welsh bits.  It all works rather well and although the possibility of Scotland breaking away is still very real I hope it it sticks together.  We are a family and we work better together.

And I have discovered I like the EU a lot more than I had ever realised.  Looking at the way the  European parliament works is very interesting and when you think about it rather elegant.  How do you get a set of disparate countries to work together?  Well the European Council and Commission are pretty good ways of doing it.  And they seem to work rather well.  I have worked with EU legislation for many years and had never really stopped to think what a great achievement it is to come even close to a common legislative framework over such a wide area.  I can't think of any parallel in history.

And I had never really appreciated just how many pan-European institutions there are and how valuable they are.  The science collaboration for example is really good and it will be a shame if we end up  outside of it.

So I find myself feeling more patriotic and more European than ever.  I don't see any way of stopping Brexit at this stage but I really hope we don't stay outside of the club that we clearly belong in for very long.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Don't Think Things Are So Bad

Weirdly I feel very optimistic.  I was expecting the Tories to win big.  Well they won a lot bigger than I expected.  Their losses in th...